Schools across Hastings have already been doing a great deal of work to develop their whole school approaches to promote children and young people’s mental health. 16 schools attended a seminar last October, to review the findings from this work, and agree priorities for going forward. As a result of this, the HOA Board has agreed to support the following programmes:
- Free Mental Health First Aid Training
- Expert MHEW Training and Support for Schools
- Whole School Training for Every Primary
For more information on each of these, scroll down.
1) FREE MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID TRAINING
- A two day course for up to four staff from every school. This Mental Health First Aid England course qualifies staff as a Youth Mental Health First Aider. Over 2 days or 4 twilight sessions the course provides:
- An in depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Enhanced interpersonal skills and confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support and engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate.
- Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive
- Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
There is still time to sign up for MHFA training. The next two day courses are on Wednesday 13th and Thursday 14th November 2019 or Monday 18th and Tuesday 19th November 2019. If you are unable to make those sessions we have four Twilight sessions which are on Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th November or Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th November. To book onto the FREE MHFA course please contact our trainer Fenella. Email: email@example.com
2) EXPERT MHEW TRAINING AND SUPPORT FOR SCHOOLS
One of the key areas that emerged from schools’ completed Audits, was the importance of Senior Staff in schools being able to access bespoke support, to take forward the priorities that you have identified in your schools Audits. This may involve additional training for staff in school around mental health and emotional well-being, it may involve support to develop clear policies around mental health and emotional well-being, it may involved support to further identify gaps in provision and how to address these or it may involve help to develop lessons or particular inputs around mental health.
We have funded Boing-Boing, an organisation with expertise in supporting schools around mental health to provide an additional 2/3 days bespoke training and support for each school. This will involve an initial consultation session or seminar to review with you, what your needs or priorities are and then support to help you address these. We will also fund backfill funding for staff to work with Boing-Boing – up to 4.5 days support for a member of staff per school.
3) WHOLE SCHOOL TRAINING FOR EVERY PRIMARY
Whole school training for every primary school in Hastings. We have also funded Boing-Boing to deliver training in identifying and responding to children’s mental health and emotional well-being for all staff in every primary school in Hastings. We have commissioned Boing-Boing to develop a one day training programme for Hastings schools that they can deliver at each school for all those staff who are interested. Boing-Boing will be contacting each school shortly, to discuss with you your needs, and how you might want to work with them to take this forward.To express an interest in the HOA offer of free training and support and find out more about Boingboing’s offer for schools for 2019-20, please email in the first instance Anne Rathbone, Senior Training and Consultancy Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org