As part of the mental health strand of the Hastings Opportunity Area we are pleased to be able to offer all Hastings and St Leonards maintained primary and secondary schools free support and training to build whole school approaches to promoting pupils’ mental health and emotional wellbeing and staff capacity to address mental health need.
The majority of schools in Hastings have already demonstrated their significant commitment to developing whole school approaches to promoting pupil’s mental health and emotional well-being. Nearly all schools have already completed an Audit of how they school is addressing pupils mental health and have developed an Action plan for priority actions emerging from this.
Schools in Hastings, as part of this work, identified that they would find further support to help them further review these priorities and then implement them, helpful.
With this in mind, we are making the following additional funding and support available to schools.
- An initial ½ day consultancy support (provided by Boingboing) to review your plan and your schools priorities;
- An additional 2½ days support from Boingboing to support you to implement these priorities – this could involve training for staff around MHEW, it could be support to develop policies or practice, or it could involve working with Boingboing to develop specific lessons
- Backfill funding for a member of staff for 4 days – to enable you to engage in this support.
We are also offering a FREE one day Mental Health and Wellbeing bespoke training course for every primary school, aimed at your whole staff team to support and improve the knowledge, skills and confidence of all staff working in your school.
We have set out further information about this offer below. If you are interested in accessing this, please contact Anne Rathbone, Senior Training and Consultancy Manager here.
1) Specialist consultancy and support for every primary and secondary school in Hastings to strengthen your whole school approach
We have commissioned Boingboing Resilience CIC to offer every maintained primary and secondary school in Hastings free, evidence-based support with developing your whole school approach to MHEW.
This support will comprise of:
- A free ½ day seminar for your senior leadership team, to review your school’s plan, your priorities and any training or support that you may need to take these forward;
- 2 ½ further days consultancy support, to work with you to take these priorities forward. This might include: training on MHEW issues for core staff members;
- support to develop policies around mental health and emotional wellbeing, embedding within operational or governance systems; or
- hands on support to develop specific lessons around emotional health and well-being.
- We can fund up to 4 full days backfill funding, if your school signs up to working with Boingboing and accesses the additional support they can offer.
2) FREE bespoke training for Primary Schools to further support Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing.
From September 2020, we have commissioned Boingboing Resilience CIC to offer a 1 day or 2 half days bespoke mental health and well-being for all primary schools. This will be delivered within each school for all staff.
The aims of this training are to:
- Provide your school with information on how you can support children with emerging difficulties alongside accessing more specialist support when required;
- Inform your staff about evidence informed approaches that they can implement;
- Enhance your staff confidence and help your school to be more responsive to meeting the needs of individual pupils;
- Be designed to improve knowledge, skills and confidence of all staff working in your school to identify children with emerging mental health and emotional wellbeing needs.
In addition to this individual offer for each primary school, Boingboing can also deliver eight twilight sessions for all Hastings primary schools, which will feature more in depth information on priority topics identified as collective training needs.
Those schools that have signed up to this offer, can also access two Resilience Forums that are being delivered by Boingboing in the Autumn Term 2019. These are:
‘Developing Resilience Through Play’ – 18th of September 2019 at The Baird Primary Academy, Parker Rd, Hastings TN34 3TH Time: 4:15 for a 4:30 start until 6:00pm
‘How can Applied Theatre projects support the wellbeing and resilience of young people within secondary schools?’ 16th October 2019, Hastings at a school venue to be confirmed Time: 4:15 for a 4:30 start until 6:00pm
To express an interest in the HOA offer of free training and support and find out more about Boingboing’s offer for schools for 2019-20, please email in the first instance Anne Rathbone, Senior Training and Consultancy Manager at email@example.com.
Boingboing is a Community Interest Company that works closely with the University of Brighton Centre of Resilience and Social Justice (CRSJ). Its work is focused on translating the research evidence base into practical benefits for the most disadvantaged children, young people, parents and carers and staff supporting them.
Boingboing has worked with, for and alongside marginalised communities across the globe and developed the Resilience Framework (Hart, Blincow and Thomas, 2007) as well as the whole school approach (ARA) to demystify and promote resilience.