To inspire, motivate and equip young people for a successful adult life.
Why is this an issue?
- Essential life skills such as confidence, motivation, resilience and communication are associated with better academic outcomes and better prospects in the workplace
- Young people in Hastings including the Hastings Youth Council told us they want better careers advice and guidance, and more extra-curricular activities to develop wider ‘life’ skills
- Far fewer pupils in Hastings attend universities that demand the best A levels or equivalent – only 8% of all pupils in Hastings progress to the top third universities, compared to 17% nationally
- Disadvantaged pupils in Hastings are less likely to progress into sustained education, employment or training at age 19 compared to their peers nationally
- Ensuring that all secondary school and college pupils have at least 4 meaningful experiences of work
- Supporting schools and colleges to improve the quality of their careers education
- Ensuring that all children and young people have access to high quality enrichment activities, by providing funding to schools and colleges to increase extra-curricular activities, and by funding additional activities across Hastings
- Piloting a Hastings ‘Opportunity Day’ in November 2018 on a school and college inset day. This will be an innovative way for young people to learn about careers and futures and have new experiences
- The National Citizen Service is committed to increasing its work in Hastings so that more young people can experience and benefit from this 4-week programme of personal development and volunteering
Our targets for 2021
- All secondary and college aged pupils to have at least 4 meaningful experiences with employers over the life of the Opportunity Area programme
- All school and college pupils participate in regular extra-curricular enrichment activity by January 2019, as measured through surveys
- Young people to have positive attitudes towards extra-curricular enrichment activity, as measured through regular surveys